History of the Show
For more than three decades The Malta Experience has enthralled audiences with its audio-visual journey through the country’s 7000 year history. It’s now firmly established as the ‘first stop’ on a sightseeing tour of the islands because it gives visitors an enriched understanding of the historical locations they will visit.
The Malta Experience was originally the brainchild of the M. Demajo Group, which is among Malta’s highly reputed organisations, with interests in a wide range of sectors. The group launched the show in order to pioneer ‘cultural tourism’ in the islands through a presentation of the Malta’s rich history and cultural heritage.
Housed within what was originally the Holy Infirmary of the Knights of St. John, a purpose built 265 seat auditorium was constructed along with a café providing breathtaking views across Valetta’s renowned Grand Harbour.
The show’s first incantation was launched in 1980, using 21 projectors to tell the islands’ story in four different languages. As the show evolved and expanded, by 1998 the number of projectors had grown to 44. However, with the advent of modern digital technology, this large number was replaced to four high definition digital video projectors in 2008.
The show continues to evolve and to be updated to reflect the latest events in Malta’s ever expanding story. Now in its 5th edition, the show uses the theme of the sea as a key element in Malta’s history, with one group of settlers after another arriving on the country’s shores.
Multiple award winning
Over the years The Malta Experience has won numerous accolades for its contribution to Malta’s tourism industry:
- 1993 – Golden Helm International Award for contribution to the development of tourism and overall product excellence
- 2003 – SKAL (Malta) International Award for cultural, special interest and events contribution
- 2008 – ‘Centres of Excellence Award’ presented by M. Demajo Group
- 2019 – TripExpert “Best of Malta Award” & “Experts’ Choice Award”
- Malta Tourism Authority yearly Quality Assured Award
- Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence Award since early 1999
The Malta Experience has also been shown abroad to help promote Malta as a cultural and historical place of interest. This includes:
- 1986 – International Boat Show – Earl’s Court, London
- 2009 – Hotel Des Les Invalides – Paris
- 2010 – World Expo – Shanghai